Sunday, September 26, 2004

You might be wondering, well some of you, just how I spent Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year? Did I get all solemn and reflective and do the fasting thing?

Funny thing about Yom Kippur this year- I had kind of planned to actually do something related to the holiday and was considering going to services Friday night but then I got tickets to the Giants/Dodgers game and, well, there is only a week left in the baseball season and a humdinger of a pennant race going on. So I went to the game. I had also thought about doing the fasting thing but I did go the ballgame and one does drink beer at baseball games. Especially on a Friday night of a pretty good week (any week in which I work at a good job, make good money, and don't get laid off is a good week) and one doesn't think of not eating or not drinking when one is in a celebratory mood. Okay, so I might have been able to play it like I drank but didn't eat but one does need to eat the next morning after drinking due to the inevitable hangover. And I did have a friend visiting from out-of-town and it's not quite so much fun to hang with friends when you're spending all your time on the couch trying not to think about how friggin' hungry you are. So I ate.

And you know? Whatever.

See, the whole purpose of the holiday is to look back and reflect on the past year; to think of things you did wrong and things you could do better (yeah, I know, how Jewish. And people wonder why we're so neurotic) and frankly, I don't want to reflect about last year. The only thing I want to do with last year is completely and totally forget it ever happened. Things are kind of happening now and spending a couple of days looking back at The Unemployed Years Part III: The Unemployment Office Strikes Back is not really want I want to be doing right now.

In other words, I am such a bad Jew. Especially when you consider I wound up spending the day rehooking up my shareware program and downloading songs. For free. And once again it's not like I intended to do that but I had heard that the new U2 song was out there and of course had to download it because I hate it when there's a big new song out there that I can't hear (it's pretty good too- kind of rocking and fun and a throwback to the early stuff, which we're totally down with if a bit weary of the idea of a bunch of 40 year olds trying to sound like a teenage band. Song's not "Beautiful Day" but still much better than pretty much anything being played on the radio). Anyways, so I had to download that song and once I downloaded that realized I should probably download some more and, well, six hours later, I had another hour and a half of songs downloaded. Did I mention I was a bad Jew?

PS- somebody broke into my apartment when I wasn't there and downloaded Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River" and Xtina's "Beautiful." The nerve of some people.

PPS- okay, I admit it- it was me! I downloaded those songs! I admit it! And Beyonce too.

No comments: