Friday, November 02, 2001

Few notes about Game 6 of the World Series. Didn't mean to write so much about baseball, but Jesus Fucking Christ, the past two games have been unbelievable. Baseball, at it's best is a big, huge fat oversized opera and the past two games have been pure Wagner, except not in German and with no fat lady signing. Yet.

Oh, by the way, I, once again, didn't watch the game. Or at least missed the ending as I had a soccer game. This is just from what I read and saw over and over on the highlights. I swear I'm not going to miss a second of the next two games. Well, I have to miss part of Game 6, but you get my point.

1) Two words sum up the Yankees: fucking unbelievable. Just fucking unbelievable. I wrote earlier how hard it is to root for them because they win in such a coldly and efficiently way that they're no fun. It's like, as someone once said, rooting for IBM. An even better analogy came from someone on ESPN.com who compared them to the Borg. After the past couple of games, you just have to give them their props. I'm awed and I'm sure a lot of other die-hard Yankee haters are too. They are nothing except the ultimate team and in this day and age, that's considered boring. People rooted for the Bulls because of Jordan and only because of Jordan. The Yankees are Jordan.

2) I think the picture of BK Kim squatting on the mound after giving up Brosius home run is one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen related to sports. You even can see that afterwards, when he was being consoled by his teammates, that he looked to be on the verge of crying. Poor kid. I feel so bad for him. In the space of 24 hours, he looses two games, two World Series games in just horrible, gut-wrenching ways. Not only that, the poor kid is 22, barely speaks English and as the first Korean born player to make it to the World Series, has a whole country rooting for him. I hope that when this is all over and if the Yankees win, Kim doesn't go down as the goat. I really hope he doesn't become another Buckner or Williams or Scott Norwood, players who unfairly have become associated by blowing it. In fact, it would be really classy if the Arizona fans give him a huge standing ovation before the next game.

In a way, he's really lucky. The D-Backs aren't a real team and don't play in a real sports town. If anybody cares, really cares about them in Phoenix, I'd be surprised. Which is good for Kim. Just imagine how bad it would be if he played for a New York team, or for the Phillies or, good heavens, the Red Sox. I think if he played for the Red Sox and all of this happened to them, I think the entire collective Red Sox nation would be committing suicide en masse. They chased Buckner out of town and it wasn't really his fault the Sox lost. Imagine what they'd do to poor Kim

3) For the record, I thought Brenly was pretty ballsy in having Schilling pitch Game 4 and made the right call. Same with taking him out at the end of the 7th. There was no way, however, that Kim should have been pitching the 10th. As for whether he should have pitched in Game 5, who knows?

4) One of the best parlor games in baseball is if you were a baseball player, what would your theme song be? Every ball player has their theme song now, even the lackey minor league call up whose just filling out the string on the second to last game of the season. I'm not sure what mine would be (although always thought "Brickhouse" would be kind of cool because "Brickhouse" is always cool) , but I do know that the all-time coolest one is the playing of the opening of "Baba O'Riley" for Paul O'Neill whenever he comes up to bat for the third time (why the third time?). It's usually late in the game, the game is close and O'Neill, who is the heart of soul of the Yankees team, always seems to be coming up for an important at-bat. He appears, the song starts, and the place just rocks. They always seem to let him stand there, letting the place roar just enough so the infamous three chords can be played a few times (which, is, of course, one of the reasons every game seems to last forever). And while you can say a lot of things about Yankees fans, besides the fact it's pretty fucking easy to root for them, the standing ovation for him in the bottom of the ninth, accompanied by the endless chanting of his name, was one of the most incredible, classy things I've ever seen or heard of at a sporting event. I have no idea how he managed to get through the inning without breaking down there and then. Both are goosebump moments (that is, if I actually watched the game and saw it. I would of so loved to of been at Yankees stadium for those games).

5) Fox just sucks. They should have their license to show sporting events revoked on account of being lame. Any network that makes a point of showing Tom Arnold in the stands should lose their broadcasting license. And it's not really a big, important baseball game anyways without Bob Costas. Fox should of shelled out the big bucks to get him, like they did with Madden & Summeral when they got the NFL from CBS way back when.

6) Okay, I love baseball. It's my favorite sport by far. Which puts me in the minority, especially for my age. To me, baseball is part of me and I'm part of it- my attachment to it is deep and (sadly) unconditional. True baseball fans can see the game almost mystically and that's how I can see it. To the average fan, it's just a game, but to the serious fan (the kind who actually get misty going to they're first game at Wrigley Field and seeing Harry Carrey pop out of the window to lead the crowd in "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" - which I didn't do, but I'm just using it as an example and the wind was blowing towards us that day and I think I got some sand in my eyes), there's so much more going on. It's like when you watch a game, you see things and understand things that other people just can't see or feel. And when you understand it, you know that baseball is truly unique, a sport unlike any other.

The past couple of games have proven it, shown just what makes baseball so special. These series games have incredible subtext, a tragic figure, managing decisions that will be debated and talked about forever, so many compelling figures involved, and more incredible endings than any soap opera. Here it is, three games played in the sport's most hallowed grounds involving the most storied and successful franchise in sports, set against the backdrop of the tragic events on Sept. 11th, just 12 miles from the stadium. And here we have the three time defending World Series champion probably playing together for the last time, and with their backs against the wall yet again. Facing them are a young team with awful purple uniforms, but with two of the best pitchers to ever pitch, both of them who are completely likeable, total warriors, and certainly the toughest challenge ever thrown at the champs. And twice, just on the verge of defeat, the defending champs rallied to win.

As a series builds and develops, it unfolds like a movie- themes, plots, subtexts develop slowly , building and building towards it's climax. Usually, it doesn't really turn into much, like last year or the year before, but everyone once in awhile, it folds into something completely magical. This series has been magical.

No other sport ends with such drama as baseball. Take last night's game. For much of it, the Yankees were completely asleep, unable to do much of anything but stay in the game. Then somehow, a hit here, a hit there, they're back in it. And there's nothing as dramatic as a late inning. The flash, the anticipation, followed by either sheer exhilaration and celebration or total, devastating heartbreak. I'm not saying that the same isn't true of football (as a Browns fan, I know all about sport heartbreaks) or basketball, but nothing quite has the sheer drama of a well-played World Series game.

Alright, back to the humour…..

No comments: