Tuesday, November 27, 2001

Went to get a haircut today to the place I always go to. Even though I've moved out my oldhood (the Haight) for my new hood, I don't know where to go in the Mission, so I still go back to Nice Cuts on the Haight. It's cheap and the haircut's always pretty good.

One of the things that I don't like about the place, though, is that most of the women who work there are Asian and don't speak English all that well. Which isn't much of a problem (although it always makes me kind of nervous when they cut my hair), but this time, I got some crazy woman who couldn't stop yammering away. Not only was she constantly babbling, but I couldn't understand a word of it. It wasn't just because of her bad english, but also because she kind of mumbled everything and I had the razor constantly buzzing in my ear. So I just sat there, nodded my head, laughed when I thought I should and said yes to whenever I thought she asked a question. What really scared me, though, was at one point she stopped when she stopped what shewas doing, went over to the front desk, and handed me a card for manicures/pedicures and facials.

I have no idea what the hell I said to deserve the card and didn't quite know how to get out of taking the card. All I could think about was when Jerry agreed to wear the Puffy Shirt on the Today Show because he couldn't understand the Low Talker.

I also had a flashback back to Thailand when I went to a few of those clubs (which is what you do when you go to Thailand). As I'm sitting there with my friend, all these half-naked Thai strippers/prostitutes would plunk themselves down next to me, start giving me a massage and try and start a conversation. I was kind of scared while talking to them because it was always really loud in the club, the Thai stripper's didn't speak great English and I was afraid that if I answered "yes" to what I thought was the question "how are you liking Thailand?" the next thing I'd know, I'd be taken into some room, stripped down to my skivvies and have my ass shaved.

No thank you.

Oh, and on the way home, some punk-ass kid had the MUNI window on a cold, wintery day so he could spit out some Sunflower seeds. Whenever I see something like that, I think of the scene in "Star Trek IV" where Spock does the Vulcan nerve pinch on the punk to get him to turn off his stereo. And then that radio station "The Bone" actually played Saga's "Tonight I'm on the Loose." Is that a good thing?

No comments: