Monday, June 21, 2004

Here's a little story from back in the day, way back weeks ago in Carlisle PA

My mom has one of those super-sensitive, motion sensor alarms. The kind that can alert the local police when mice fart near the door. One morning, my mom was at the doctors and I was just putzing around the house, having just woken up and felt like doing some laps to wake up. So hear I am, in t-shirt and boxers walking around the apartment and as I get just a little too close to the back door, I hear the alarm start clicking. Voice came out and told me that in ten seconds, the alarm was going to go off.

I run up to the alarm, furiously hitting every possible button I could to get it to stop. Besides the fact it was going to be loud, I knew the alarm was hooked up to the police in some sort of way and that things could go from bad to worse really quickly. Couldn't stop the thing so within a few seconds, the alarm started wailing. And wailing. I continued to hit every possible button hoping to shut the damn thing down. I even tried yanking the thing from the wall (which works when the fire alarm goes off), but I couldn't.

A couple of minutes into it, with me still trying to stop the thing (I was a little on the worried side that the thing wouldn't stop until somebody turned it off, which meant it was going to be a long and loud morning), the phone rang. It was the alarm company checking up on what was going on. I tried to explain the situation to them, but I couldn't do much because I didn't know either the password (obviously) or even who the person was who was my mother's "In Emergency" person. So they said they'll take care of it and not to worry about it. With the alarm still ringing, I just went into my mother's office, closed the door, and checked my e-mail.

A few minutes later, it finally stopped. But then, ten minutes later, the doorbell rings. It's one of Carlisle's finest, a copper. I go to answer the door, which unfortunately set the alarm off again, and got the grilling by the cop. I told him who I was, why I was there, why the alarm went off, blah…blah…blah. Couldn't tell whether he was just being cop-like and thus a bit of an asshole, but he didn't seem to be going for it. Guess a lot of robbers in Carlisle break into places wearing shorts, t-shirts, and no shoes and not having showered yet. Just as he's about to say he's going to "check things out" a message comes through telling him that someone was contacted and my story checked out. And with that, the alarm went off and the copper left.

No comments: