Sunday, June 27, 2004

Man, I was so excited about the opening of "Fahrenheit 9/11." Friends and I camped out Wednesday night to make sure we got the best seats in the house and brought all of our action figures and dressed in costume (I was Donald Rumsfield!)

Uh no, that didn't happen.

Instead a friend and I went to a 12 o'clock showing Sunday afternoon in Daly City, thinking that a 12 o'clock showing in a place that wasn't the Big City wouldn't get sold out. We got there at 11 and it was sold out. So we purchased tickets for the 2:30 show, killed about three hours at a mall (I know, sooo High School) and got back to the theater around 1 where we sat in line with hundreds of other people for seats to the show. The show we saw was sold out, as was every other show that day. Pretty fricking crazy. It was the same kind of movie craziness that'll probably come next week when Spiderman comes out except all for a movie whose main character is George W. Bush.

And how was it?

Let's just say straight out that I wasn't as excited about this movie as a lot of people were. I know how bad Smirkboy and the Smirkettes are. I know what they're doing to this country and I know how badly we've bungled the "War on Terror." I don't really need it broadcast to me in a movie. Lately I've been tuning out a lot of the strongly partisan, lefty kind of news outlets. I used to love Salon, for instance, when it wasn't so blatantly partisan but now it seems like every day every story is a variation along the theme of "George Bush Sucks." Besides the fact I know it, it's kind of upsetting to read it. I know it. Most of my friends know it. But we're not the ones who need to know it. I've actually been reading a lot more of the moderate to slightly conservative sites out there, like the "we'll say the opposite of what everyone else is saying because we look much smarter that way" New Republic and Andrew "I'm not screwed up even though I'm gay and both devoutly Catholic and a Republican" Sullivan. Hell, I've even been watching mostly Fox News lately just because it makes me think. Salon doesn't make me think- I know it already. Fox does because every couple of seconds I'm forced to go "hey, wait a minute…."

Why I wasn't so psyched on the movie was because it would be too much preaching at the choir and because I thought Moore would go a little too much over the top. He has a habit of doing that and as your typical mushy, let's have a civilized debate liberal, I like my commentators more on the Charlie Rose/NPR side of things. Except John Stewart, of course, but he doesn't count because he's a "fake" newsmen.

The movie does a lot of preaching and Moore does go over the top a bit (he briefly mentions Bush's still unexplained disappearance from the National Guard and plays a riff of Eric Clapton's "Cocaine."). The movie aims too high, trying to hit upon almost every left complaint about the administration and as Moore is often capable of doing, veers a little too much into Oliver Stone territory. But still, it's pretty good. Even powerful at times. By the end of it you're firmly convinced of his central message, that the poor kids fighting in Iraq are doing the best they can in a place they shouldn't have been sent by people who can't possibly be. You leave the movie feeling like it's time to go man the ramparts and fight the power that be. Whether others feel the same way is the million dollar question. If others do, especially in states that aren't New York and California, Karl Rove should be really nervous.

I may not agree with everything Moore says and I'm pretty sure he's probably a major league ass-hole in real life, but thank God he's out there. Somebody's gotta give 'em hell.

Go man, go.

No comments: