Wednesday, June 30, 2004

We got ourselves another Haiku Tunnel data entry temp job today. We are happy. We love Haiku Tunnel Data Entry temp jobs. I got me my new CD's and my new CD walkman (by the way, if anyone happens to be riding Greyhound between DC and Harrisburg and runs into a piece of crap CD walkman that still has the "Nirvana Live" disc in it, can you please send it back to me? Much thanks) and I'm raring to go. The job is in an accounting department in a bank. It's dreadfully dull, especially as it's apparent by the almost abandoned office space that the bank has seen better days. Just like the other bank that I worked at, this bank also has a rule against dispensing free asprin. After thinking how weird that is, I realized that it's probably just a precautionary measure against the bank's employees from trying to kill themselves from the sheer boredom that their lives have become.

My supervisor, who is a bit on the anal retentive uptight side, albeit a nice guy, wants to take me to lunch tomorrow. Kind of a welcome aboard for the six days I'm working there. While it's really nice of him to do that and I really appreciate the effort in trying to make me feel like I'm not just a temp working there for six days, I really don't want to go out to lunch with him. That's the point of these temp jobs- I go in, I put on the headphones all day, I go out.

Because I'm looking for work at the same time, I'm having to leave a lot to use a payphone (yes, I have no cell phone. I know). The closest pay phone I can find is at a five star hotel half a block away from my office. I spent so much time there coming and going, hanging out by the phone, that I think the people who work there think I'm staying there. They've started saying hi to me and the doorman's holding the door when I come in. Maybe I should start taking all the free food they have lying out for their Continental Breakfast?

No comments: