Tuesday, January 04, 2005

And so I actually had my one-on-one confrontation. Or, would have if I wasn't such a chicken about one-on-one confrontations and managered up as it were. Something went wrong at work, something that I shouldn't have let go so wrong, and I got the snippy phone conversation followed by the e-mail with attitude this morning. The person who I had the issue with is somebody who comes off as one of the sweetest, nicest people you'll ever meet but she can front some attitude when needed. All of which makes it that much more cutting when she gets snippy. How she does it is that she still maintains that really sweet voice, but changes the tone just a smidge, just a pinch and throws just the barest hint of attitude behind it, and it makes it all that much more cutting. It's one thing when people get confrontational or even psycho about something. It's another thing entirely when uses subtlety. It's the difference between a hammer and a sharp knife. The thing is too is that I'm beginning to think she knows exactly what she's doing. That she uses her sweetness to try and pull things, like we're kind of putty in her hands because she's just so gosh darn nice.

And you know what the thing is? She is so gosh darn nice.

No comments: