Monday, January 10, 2005

A couple of days ago, the new Creative Director at work came by and asked if I needed a new computer. Now other than a few bugs, my computer works perfectly fine so I don't really need a new computer. But when somebody comes by and offers you a chance of getting a new computer, you're gonna say hell yeah.

Anyways, this morning he sent me an e-mail asking me to detail what might be wrong with my computer so he could justify the expense in getting me a new computer. For various reasons (too busy Web surfing to answer the question) I never responded to the e-mail. Then, after lunch, I went to go take a piss and ran into him in the bathroom. He was just flossing away and so I told in passing that I was sorry I didn't reply and that I'd do it later this afternoon. A quick, concise in-and-out, nobody gets hurt kind of answer. So I go past the little dividing wall and, well, start to unzip. It's here that, while still in the middle of flossing, he let's me know that I could tell him right there and then so I didn't have to trouble myself in e-mailing him back.

Okay, now he's flossing. I am about to piss. In fact, as he said what he said, my flag was unfurled as it were. And here he is asking a semi-business-related question. Now, as most guys know, talking in the men's room, especially at work, is a touchy thing. Some guys like to do it, others don't. This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I am definitely not a piss n'talk kind of guy but I can deal. But one thing you don't do while pissing away, however, is ask a semi-serious kind of question. Oh, you can jabber away or make small talk, but not a serious kind of question. This is because by asking a semi-serious question, it means that one has to actually sort-of acknowledge the other person which means acknowledging what the person is doing which means being cognizant of the fact that pissing is involved and pissing is kind of a personal thing. It's also a bit awkward because since one has to acknowledge the other, it means one has to give some attention to the other person which would mean looking at the other person and, DEAR GOD SOMEBODY MIGHT ACTUALLY SEE YOUR PENIS!!!!!

Umm….where was I? Oh yeah. So he's flossing and I'm pissing and I'm a little stunned by it all so actually tell him "hold on a sec…" and then finish my task. Then I wash up and move a huge distance away from him just so I tell the still flossing Creative Director that my e-mail is kind of screwy and that it occasionally doesn't work and that while it's nothing major I'm not going to turn down the chance for a new computer.

And with that, I got the hell out of there as fast as I could.

No comments: