Sunday, August 28, 2005

I'm in my apartment getting to go out and I hear some loud yelling echoing through the streets and into my apartment. Because I often hear loud clamoring, I couldn't tell whether it was just a crazy guy, street protest, or even one of those preacher types who occasionally sermonize on the corner. I head down and notice that it's a combination of them- it's a crazy guy with a bible sermonizing. Or at least I think he was sermonizing as he more liked barked stuff out and the only word I could hear was "God." The dude was loud, though, so loud I could hear him from a block away.

When I passed him, I couldn't help notice out of the corner of my eye that one of the local homeless dudes was busy staring into one of those ATM Machines. When I looked to see what he was doing, I noticed he was using the mirror attached to it to shave.

Ladies and Gentleman, the Mission.

Oh, the dude who was shaving is this guy who I've been seeing around a lot lately. He's kind of young-ish looking with face tattoos who's walking around selling those spin art things we all did as kids. As his story goes, he's holed up in a hotel room with his wife and kid and he's selling his kids art work to earn money to support the family. Which was a great story the first time I heard it. I mean, he could be just out there hustling money but he's trying to at least he's making an effort to give something for people's spare change. And the art work, well, I've seen worse.

But after a few months of seeing him on the street, I think I've lost sympathy for his plight. It's just that all that time and effort he's expending into trying to sell his kid's artwork makes me wonder if he could be using it more judiciously. Like looking for a job.

No comments: