Monday, April 17, 2006

More notes on the trip before we return to the usual boredom and light posting:

-The train I took from Philly to Baltimore was full enough that every seat was taken by at least one person but not many seats were taken up by two. Which meant that the whole horde of people getting on at Philly had to walk up and down the train determining which poor person would no longer have the seats to themselves. On our side, the recently added passengers, it becomes a big game of who's seat they would take? The child? The cell-phone acceserizing businesman? The old lady? And how bummed would they be to know that in an entire cabin of people having seat to themselves, they were picked. And for the people who had the seat to themselves, you could see them looking nervous as people walked up and down the aisle looking for the perfect seat, hoping that they wouldn't have to give something up.

-And how bummed was the lady who had lost having the seat to themself by the huge, fat, Jabba the Hutt lady. A lady so fat she had to sit by the window because she'd have more room. And all the while, Jabba Lady had a self-righteous look on her face, you know, the kind of face that said, don't you even think about looking disappointed just because I'm 400 pounds.

-I know have spent about 3,000 bucks on consumer electronic equipment that will make my travelling that much more enjoyable. The equipment mainly being a laptop, video iPod, and various electronic devices bought to help both. This being my first flight with all the equpment, I was actually looking forward to it. Now, first of all, being able to watch "Battlestar Gallactica" on a laptop on a five hour flight? Kicks all sorts of ass. But the other thing is I found myself with too many entertainment options. The flight takes off and I'm sitting there thinking- should I read first and listen to music or listen to music and play tetris? Or should I watch "Lost" or a "South Park" episode or "Battlestar?" Maybe even try playing the video game I bought just for this flight.

-For whatever reason, I had to fly into Durham North Carolina to switch flights. Which means, yes, there's another state I went to on my trip, although I'm not exactly sure a stay in a airport really counts. I mean, during my trip to Germany and Austria, I spent a couple of hours at Heathrow, but I never claimed to have been in London. You know, in a way, being in North Carolina was a bit like being in Heathrow-- the reading materials are totally different and everyone talks with a funny accent. The only difference being that the reading material in London are mainly laddie magazines with actual nudity and in North Carolina it's NASCAR magazines and books about Jesus.

Anyways, while I was waiting for my flight to board, I started playing a pretty fun game with my fellow passengers. That game being "Who's from the Bay Area and Who's Just Going to Visit." See, the game goes like this. Guy with a flat top hair cut? Visiting SF. Guy with a natural tan, wearing shorts and sandals? Resident of SF. Old lady with a bad perm, bad die cut, and a look on her face like she sucked twenty lemons at once? Visiting. Woman with long, unruly hair and wearing a black mumu? Lives somewhere in the Bay Area, probably near Santa Cruz. BIg, clean cut guy with wholesome looks wearing a button down shirt tucked into his jeans? Visiting. Guy wearing all black with a beard and an earing? Probably lives a couple of blocks away from me.

See how this works?

No comments: