Tuesday, April 11, 2006

So that whole moth quote earlier might have been a little over the top as it's not like people in the East Coast don't dress well. I think it's just my view that the whole East Coast is kind of old and moldy and stuffy, the kind of environment moths thrive in. In fact, if I was writing a novel about life in the East Coast, I'd have moths be the central metaphor in it. You know, the kind of metaphor you study in english classes and write papers about. Something like "people in the East Coast are afraid to merge with their moths." Or something about moths beating ceaselessly to the shore.

Anyhoo, today I went to the scene of the crime as it were, the King of Prussia Shopping Mall. Luckily, none of it was how I remember it, so the deja vu wasn't quite so deja. But there's still something about walking around there. Like I want to tell everyone I meet "I used to live here but I'm back on vacation because I live in San Francisco and got the hell out of here and got to experience things more real than Ivy League educations and Abercrombie and Fitch." You know, like I should have worn a t-shirt that said "I Got The Hell Out of Here." Which is kind of silly if you think about it. But then again, in a way, we all live our lives in reaction to our lives when we were young. Just some people haven't quite realized it yet. And let's just say that with the iPod on, I got way more vicarious thrill out of hearing say a Dinosaur Jr. song and Iggy Pop's "I wanna Be Your Dog" than a Tom Petty or Floyd song. Because Petty or Floyd is pretty much what I heard back then anyways. But we'll get to that in a second.

One more thing about walking through the mall. Whenver I'm there I get this weird, paranoid feeling that I'll run into somebody I know. Which would never happen, especially at 2 in the afternoon on a Tuesday, but it's still there. It's just weird to realize that the one's who it'll probably be are not the High School and college chicks, but probably their mother's. T'is true about anything in life these days, but, once again, it goes against what we were trained to think oh so long ago.

About the radio. I love turning on the radio to hear if anything's changed from when I was younger and discovered that in some cases, it hasn't. I still heard those dread words that haunted me so much when I was younger..."after the break, a double shot of Yes!" It seems like WMMR could just put on tapes from 20 years ago and nobody would notice a difference in the station.

No comments: