Thursday, March 05, 2009

BSG Rules


This past month or so, Sci Fi has been airing the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica, a show that really truly is as good of a tv show as there ever was and if you don't believe me, your lame. In a past life, I was able to watch the shows when they aired, usually at 10 PM Friday night (and what a stupid time to air the show too) but I can't quite watch the shows like I used to, especially one that airs on a Friday. So I DVR them.

Since the season started, I've been having a dilemna on how to watch them. Should I watch them sometime right after they air, all Old School like, or should I treat it like they're dvds and watch them in bunches, like watch two episodes here and two episodes there. The benefit of watching them every week is that I keep up with the show as it airs so I can join in on the online fun. I also actually like the week-long wait between watching shows because it gives you something to look forward to and makes the experience more meaningful. It's the same reason why football is fun-- the game is on Sunday, then you have a whole week to discuss the previous game and think about the upcoming game. On the other hand, it's nice to watch them in bulk because it's easier to submerge yourself into the show and live in the world. The shows that I have watched quickly on DVR- Veronica Mars, the Wire, and Friday Night Lights-- I really enjoyed doing it that way. Friends and I once debated whether it would be better to watch Lost as it airs or wait until the end of the season and then watch all the episodes back-to-back-to-back on DVR. The conclusion was that you'd probably get more out of it by watching it on dvr but who the hell can wait that long?

So what have I decided to do? Still haven't figured it out yet. I watch a single episode one week, then don't watch until a couple of weeks go by and then have a long debate in between weeks to decide what to do. With only three episodes left (!), I figure I should probably make up my mind soon as I'm already a couple of weeks behind.

Life is hard sometimes.

No comments: