Thursday, March 05, 2009

What's Up Doc?

I was really late to a doctor's appointment today, like about twenty minutes late. The reasons why are almost comical in ways because it was like every possible thing was thrown in my way to make sure I was late, from accidents to street construction to getting stuck behind a biker and dealing with an overcrowded parking garage. As I was scurrying around panicked that I'd miss the appointment, I wondered just how bad it is to be around twenty minutes late to see the doctor because as we all know, whenever you go to the doctor's, they make you wait about twenty minutes or so anyways. So in being late to the doctor's, I could actually show up on time. That is if they allow me because as George Costanza discovered, doctor's get touchy about all that. Luckily, my doctor said she was able to see me.

Going to the doctor when you're 40 is a whole different experience. Doctor's offices, of course, are always depressing because they're full of lots and lots of old people, all in various stages of being feeble. When you're in your 20's, seeing old people isn't as scary because you're not as acutely aware that one of those old people in a walker could be you in a few years. The other thing is that my doctor is younger than me, probably by about 4 or 5 years. Not that I don't trust her because she's young (and kinda cute, actually) but it always makes you feel older when somebody in a so-called position of authority is younger than you. Hell, look at all the coaches that are being hired in sports these days-- they're all younger than me. Yes, I'm having that feeling these days.

The good thing, though, about being 40 and going to the doctor is that you're old enough for check ups to start mattering but young enough that you're still in decent enough shape to be told everything's fine. The tests count now And, of course, in being 40, I'm still young enough not to have gloves put in places I'd rather prefer gloves not being put.

Oh, I'm fine. I've even lost quite a bit of weight recently and between being told I'm fine and that I've lost weight, I'm totally eating nothing but bacon cheese burgers, pasta, and pizza all weekend.

No comments: