Saturday, March 07, 2009

Let's Go Anywhere!


For whatever reason, I'm not sweating my lack of employment right now, global financial meltdown be damned. Part of it is because having spent a large portion of my adult life unemployed, I know that all things will pass and this will pass too. At some point-- maybe not this decade-- but at some point, I'll get another job. And part of it is because there's not much I can do about it anyways. This thing is so huge and so massive that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to get much of anything for awhile. Everyone is saying that the recession/depression/clusterfuck is probably going to take a year to a year and a half before some sort of normalcy arises and considering I haven't gotten a nibble on my resume in months, it's probably going to take awhile before I'm even going to be able to getting anything going. From what I've heard, even places that could be hiring people aren't hiring people because nobody knows what the hell is going to happen and nobody wants to hire anybody until they make sure that we don't wake up one day to discover that we've returned to Feudalism.

So knowing all this and knowing that I could be looking at at least a year's worth of unemployment, I might as well settle into it and accept it and even enjoy it. See, the one good thing about the global economic crisis is that everyone and everything is affected and so everything is much cheaper these days. Like plane fares. Or hotels. And considering the Euro is in the toilet and dropping faster (Europe is about to collapse any minute now)... well... you see where I'm going. I have all the time in the world, I have little debt, and things are cheap so what the hell, might as well go travel. Carpe diem and all that

And, so, yes, it'll mean leveraging the future and putting myself in debt for some instant gratification but what harm could that do?

No comments: