Wednesday, March 04, 2009

More Adventures in Job Hunting

The amazing thing is that for all the times I've been unemployed and looking for work, which we all know has been a lot of times, there's always something that comes up that I've never experienced before. Like today's interview.

This morning, at 9, I was supposed to go meet a recruiter in North Beach for a meet & greet to talk about possible jobs he had out there. Funny thing, though-- he forgot to mention that it was supposed to be a phone interview and not an in-person interview. This meant I got up early (which is a big thing when you're not working as it eliminates one of the best parts of being unemployed, that being be able to sleep in), threw on my good clothes, walked all the way to North Beach only to find out I could have gotten up at 8:55 and done the interview in bed. Instead, I did the interview on the street right in front of the office.

I knew something was up when I got to the office of the recruiting company. It was 8:50 and there was nobody in the office-- not the receptionist, not the recruiter, not even another coworker. It was completely locked and the lights were turned off. Unless everybody in the office is a late riser and it's one of those places where nobody rolls into work on time, that was a little on the weird side. The recruiter told me over the phone that they lease the office these days, something that makes me wonder if they're doing so as a way to save money as I'm guessing the recruiting biz ain't doing so well these days.

The guy was pretty cool, though, and realized it was his boo-boo and not mine and apologized over and over again for it. This might be a good thing in the end because not only will he always remember who I am, but he owes me one.

No comments: