Wednesday, January 30, 2002

Got a phone call last night around 8 or so. Didn't answer it, of course, because "Buffy" was on and I don't answer the phone when the Buffster's on.

Turns out it was from someone calling about a resume I sent out. Which is kind of weird, it being 8 when they called. Didn't call back until this morning because, well, Buffy ended at 9 and I wasn't gonna call until it was over and besides, they can't expect me to get a message at night and return it that evening. And what the hell were they doing calling at 8 anyways?

So I called this morning when I woke up. Haven't heard back from them yet. Which, of course, is making me nervous. In light of previous experiences this go round (see previous blog postings) and in light of other previous experiences, I'm scared to death (well, not to death, but let's just call it exagerating for effect) that I somehow blew it by not answering the phone. That my window has passed or that it was some sort of pop-phone interview and I blew it by not answering the phone to watch "Buffy."

Could happen. I once got a pop-phone interview sunday morning at like 11. When they called, the person asked me if I wanted to talk now or later. Being innocent and naive (not to mention being sopping wet cause I just came out of the shower), I said it would be better if he called me later that day. So we made an appointment for him to call later in the day and thought it would be fine. So, I rushed home from the bar I was at with friends (not drinking anything because I knew I had the phone call coming) and waited by the phone for like an hour before realizing they weren't gonna call me back. Guess not wanting to do a phone interview while wearing a towel and sopping wet was reason enough not to hire me.

And it's why I'm so paranoid about them not calling me back. Did I say something wrong when I left the message? Did they suddenly hire someone else in the twelve hours between my calling them back? Did they find something wrong with my resume this morning? Were they just calling a bunch of people and whoever answered the phone are the one's they're bringing in?

And the thing is is that I can't really pester them now to set up an interview because I've already called once and to call a couple more times makes me seem desperate. And if they already decided not to call me back, it's just already to late and I'm just wasting my time.

Why, oh why, won't they call me back.

No comments: