Thursday, January 31, 2002

One more thing about the "State of the Union" speech. Again, not like I actually watched it or anything. Anyways, every year, the President is supposed to declare what the state of the union is. It's actually in our Constitution, that the President is supposed to give an address every year to the nation letting us know how we're doing. And now it's become such political theater that it always happens.

But every year, no matter what, the President always stands up there and says "the state of the Union is strong." This is despite whatever the hell is going on in the country. I'm pretty sure Nixon gave a speech in Jan. of '69 and said the state of the union was strong despite the fact that in '68 everyone was either protesting, rioting, or getting shot. And I'm sure Bush I said the same thing way back in '91 or '92 back when when there was a recession on and LA was rioting over Rodney King and the Clarence Thomas hearings had been held and so the basic state of the union was that everyone was just kind of surly and pissed off. President's have to say that, though. They have to say that the union is strong because if they didn't, it would be bad for the nation. Not to mention political suicide.

But just once- once- I'd like to see a President get up there and call it like it is. I'd so want to see someone get up there and say something like "the state of the union is....eh. Could be better, could be worse." Or "the state of the union is ....alright."

Which brings up another thing I'd love to see, but probably never see. You know how whenever an athelete or celebrity wins something and they always thank either Jesus or God? As if Jesus or God were personally responsible for them winning the AFC Championship game or a Grammy when we all know (or hope) that they're probably a little bit more worried about things like, oh, war, famine, plague. Not to mention the spread.

So, just one day, I think it would be great if some athelete (which would never happen) or at least a musician (possible) go up there and say something like "Yeah, I'd like to thank Satan. I don't think this would be possible if it weren't for the Dark Lord's help. You know, I wanted this so much that I sacrificed a couple of goats last night and it looks like it did, so thank you Satan, thank you Beezelbub."

Man, that would be funny.

No comments: