Thursday, January 31, 2002

Had myself worked into a full rant again, but got somewhat mellowed out by the brilliance of tonight's "Family Guy." It was kind of a cross between Willie Wonka meets Sam Adams with a little bit of "Shine" in for good measure. Fucking hilarious.

Anyways…..

It's now two days since I got that phone call from that company at 8 in the evening. Still haven't heard back from them. I've called them a bunch of times but keep on getting the ladies voice mail. Left a message yesterday. Left one today. Still nothing.

All I can say is this: what the fuck?

Look, I'm sorry I didn't answer the phone at 8:09 in the evening. But still, what the fuck? Why do I feel like the lady's playing a Lucy with the football? It's like all thes companies I've been dealing with are playing a practical joke on people- "hey, you know everyone's unemployed and desperate so let's call them when they're probably not home and pretend we want to talk to them. Then when they get all excited because we responded to their resume and call us back, we won't call them back. Come on, it'll be a hoot!"

Look, if you're gonna call someone about a job, then you should at least be polite enough to call them back or at least e-mail them something in case something comes up. To leave a message, one given at 8 at night, and then not call the person back is just fucking lame. It's like with the economy so tight, companies know they can just treat anyone like shit and it won't matter because those of us who are unemployed are so desperate we'll pretty much bend over and take it. What else can we do?

Even worse, because they called when they did, I took the advice of a friend and decided that I pretty much should answer the phone everytime it rings. You never know. Even if I'm in the middle of eating. Even if I'm still lying in bed, half asleep and hungover. Even if "Buffy" is on. So now I'm answering the phone all the time, pretty much forced to answer the phone when telemarketers call to bug me. Or to pick up the phone when my mom calls.

Oh, had another job interview today. Pretty cool job too, even if it was for a contract position that'll last only a couple of months or so. When I got there, I saw the people who were to interview me walking out with another candidate. I hate when that happens. I know that whenever you get called for an interview you're never the only person they've called. I know I'm never the only person they want to talk to. Still, I don't want to see those other people. It's like when you're just casually dating someone and you know they're dating other people too and you happen to run into them and the other person. It's just something you don't really want to faced into knowing.

I remember once I had this interview where this guy who was doing them was pretty much running his interviews in an assembly-line fashion. Every half an hour, someone else would come in for an interview after half an hour, the next person was up. When I arrived for the interview, I saw the guy talking to another candidate and saw that them laughing away as if they're old buddies. Real confidence booster. And the whole time during my interview, I kept on thinking to myself "how come he's not laughing like that with me. I'm so screwed."

Then, right in the middle of an interview, sometime after my "this is my whole working career in fifteen minutes or less" schpiel, one of the people I was interviewing with glanced down at my resume, noticed out loud that I was an English major and asked me who my favorite author was. Something that completely threw me for a loop. Besides the fact I don't really have one or that I haven't had to think about it since, well, since college, it was just so out of nowhere that I got completely thrown. And as I was trying to figure that one out, I kept on thinking to myself whether it was a trick question or not. Like if I'd say something like "F. Scott Fitzgerald" the person I'm interviewing with would sit there and think something like "he likes F. Scott Fitzgerald? God, Fitzgerald's such a pompous twat. I can't hire somebody who likes Fitzgerald."

Could happen. After all, I didn't get a call back because I decided to watch "Buffy" instead of answering the phone.

No comments: