Thursday, January 03, 2002

Happy New Year everyone. I think I can speak for everyone when I say good riddance to 2001. In fact, I think I can speak for everyone when I say what 2001 can do with itself. What a miserable year. Of course, there was the recent unpleasantness and I found myself losing my job, my apartment and spending more time in doctor's offices than I have over the past six years combined. On the other hand, "Lord of the Rings" fucking rocked, so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

2002 has a cool ring to it. Must be that symmetrical thing. We haven't had that cool of a numerical year since 1991 and what a year that was. Bush was President, we were at war in the Middle East, there was a recession….

Hmmm……

Actually, despite it all, '91 saw the release of "Nevermind," the Smashing Pumpkins "Gish" (still probably my fave album of all time), the vastly overrated but still kind of cool "10" and U2's "Achtung Baby." With all that's going on, maybe we're about to have that kind of year culturally. We already know we're getting a "Star Wars" flick (Lucas better not screw this one up), the next installment of "Lord of the Rings," the next Harry Potter book and we'll finally be able to find out just what the hell is up with Buffy. Hell, we're already off to a good start in that the SF Chron finally got rid of "Family Circus." Now, if they could only get rid of "For Better or For Worse." Or at least not until we find out what happens to Elizabeth, her ex-boyfriend and her current cheating boyfriend.

Wait, I'm rambling. Sorry. Nevermind.

No comments: