Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Had an interview a couple of days ago at an ad agency. The women I interviewed with was the Vice-President of the agency. Extremely Type-A. Very, very Type-A. She was already totally wired when I came in to meet her but still felt the need to keep on guzzling her grande late during the interview. Not to mention check her e-mail or answer the phone. The interview ended partly because she was too busy but partly because she had gotten herself into such a tizzy she needed a smoke break.

I hate interviews like that. It's hard to get a word in when the person you're talking to is flying all over the place and hard to keep your cool when the other person is completely stressed out. I could of nailed the interview too. That is, if I had any time to actually say anything.

The whole thing kind of sucks. The interview is important to me. I need a fucking job. And it sounds like it's important to them too because they're about to lose two people who coordinate all the ads on the West Coast. Yet because the interviewer is conducting such a bad interview, how is the interviewee supposed to conduct a good interview? How can I show that I'm the person they desperately need if the other person trying to remember someone's inter-office extension number or constantly flying back to her computer to check her e-mail? I guess I should look on the bright side and know that if I don't get the job, she'll probably of hired somebody who was decided upon in such a nicotine fix that they're probably not any good.

Did I mention I hate interviews?

No comments: