Monday, January 07, 2002

Oh boy, the Winter Olympics are on their way here. Good timing too, our country needs a little bit more things to help whip us up into a really annoying patriotic fervor. Anyways, I've noticed that NBC (did you know NBC is doing the Olympics this year? It's not like they've plastered the logo all over the screen during NBC show) decided to use as their theme Neil Diamond's "America." You know, "we're coming to America/We're coming to America/Today! (nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah)." But instead of going with original, which is pretty cool in it's oh so cheesy Diamondesque way, they redid it, except this time turning it into a duet between the Solitary Man himself and Melissa Etheridge. Mellissa Etheridge? Where the hell did they think come up with that and who thought that would make a really good duet couple? And they gave her most of the best parts of the song to sing too. Dear God.

I just don't get the whole Melissa Etheridge thing. She does nothing for me other than make me turn the radio anytime I hear her voice on the radio. It's not even like I can at least understand her appeal. I don't at all. There's a lot of bands that I hate but can at least comprehend why some people would be into them. Steely Dan bores the living crap out of me, but I can see how some people think they're kind of clever and their music lively enough not to put them to sleep. I've always thought Bon Jovi was the epitomy of over the top stupidity, but I can at least acknowledge the fact that he does right a pretty good melody and can write a pretty mean hook. But Melissa Etheridge? Don't get it all. Let's put it another way. If she weren't lesbian, would anybody care? Her entire hook is that she's just your normal, everyday lesbian who wants to be Bob Seger. And as for her doing the tune with Neil, let's put it another way- do you honestly think that somewhere down the line, there is going to be a band that gets slightly famous for doing Melissa Etheridge cover tunes?

And what about the 15 year old kid who crashed the plane into a BofA building in Tampa (hee). Everyone hopped all over California when it came out that John Walker was from Marin, but so far we've heard nothing like that with this kid. Why not? Hell, Florida's so fucked up that they couldn't even figure out how to run an election. So, let me go… stupid white-trash redneck cracker with dumb-ass trailer park parents. Probably too busy watching NASCAR or firing off guns to figure out their kid was hero-worshipping Osama.

And before everyone gets too upset, you have to remember that whatever he did, at least he didn't do what all the other loser high-school kids did and shot up half the school. He just crashed a plane into an abandoned building, only killing himself. Say this for post-9/11 America, at least all those stupid kids now have a better outlet for their fucked-up, mortal kombat, suicidal wet dream.

Uhh, sorry. Bad day at work.

Quit on Friday but since I'm working with a Temp Agency, they have to handle it all. Which they didn't do and means I have to be there for at least one more day. So, all day, I'm sitting there working, waiting for the Temp Agency to let my manager's know, waiting for the bomb to drop as it were, and nothing. Everytime my manager's huddled together, everytime they walked past me, I thought "here it comes," all the while hoping that they'd see that I had quit and looked at my not so great attitude there and just tell me to go home. But it never happened. The call was never made and they still don't know. So when the Dragon Lady of a boss stopped by to tell me how to do my job, I just had to grin and bear it. There is, after all, a difference between slacking off because you know you're about to quit and slacking off because everyone knows you're about to quit.

And I have to go through it all again tomorrow.

No comments: