Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Almost missed the last shuttle to work this morning because BART was delayed. Turns out somebody got sick and had to be "helped," thus shutting down the entire BART line for half an hour.

Sheesh.

I mean, we're only talking one- one!- person. There's hundreds, hundreds of people put out because one measly little person got sick. What about the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few? Don't animals eat their lame to avoid just such problems?

And yes, I'm just joshing. I have no idea what happened other than there was a medical emergency and the lines were delayed. And yes, I know what I said could be construed as being cold and heartless.

Still, don't think that what I said doesn't go through people's minds. Oh, I know, I've seen it. I know how you think.

I was on MUNI once when somebody passed out- just fell down and had a quick little epileptic-like seizure. The people around her quickly alerted the driver and cleared out room for her. The train stopped and everyone kneeled around her, making sure she was allright and going through the motions of Concerned People. She came through, fine, but according to procedures, we couldn't move until an ambulance or some sort of emergency vehicle came to check her out. Everyone sat there, trying to look patient and concerned, but you could tell, just sense, that people were getting pissed at what was going on. You could see them, when they didn't think anyone was looking, glance at their watch and give a quick little roll of their eye. Then, as soon as that was over and when they were sure nobody saw, they'd quickly put back that mask of feigned concern.

No comments: