Thursday, January 02, 2003

Was gonna post another anti-80's revival screed, this time inspired by the cover story in this week's SF Weekly. I mean, I watched "About Last Night" the other night. We're talking Brat Pack, cheesy synth laden songs about living for every moment, and James Belushi as a supposed womanizer. I know whereof I speak.

But, I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the "I Love the '80's" marathon on VH-1 on New Year's Day. What can I say? I gotta give my props to a show that praises the genius that is Stripes and acknowledges the importance of the scene in Fast Times in Ridgemont High where Phoebe Cates comes out of the swimming pool. As every Gen X male was hitting puberty just around that time, that scene is all sheared into our memories. (OT- the one problem with getting suckered into Marathon's like that is that if you watch, say, more than an hour or two, you feel like you gotta stick around and watch the whole thing. After all, there's like only a few more episodes left and you've made it this far. Which is why everytime you get suckered into them, you always wind up wondering where exactly did the day go.)

You know, it's kind of funny about this whole '80s revivial thing. When you talk to people who are into it and go to clubs that feature the music, the people all say the same thing. They'll tell you "oh, I'm not really into the popular stuff, I only like listening to the obscure stuff" and then they'll tell you about how they only want to listen to 12 minute Depeche Mode French dance remixes. They, of course, just absolutely hate hearing "Come on Eillleen." Riiiiiiiight. Which is why I always hear those songs at 80's type things.

Here's the thing about a lot of the so-called '80s revival. Years ago, friends and I threw an 80's party. Before it was fashionable (we were cool like that). When we told people that we were throwing an '80s party, everyone said the same kind of stuff: "Oh, I love that music, I can't wait to hear (insert English/American Indie cult band here)." Then we threw the party. The song that rocked the house, the song that had everyone singing along, the song that was the undisputed highlight of the night: Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer."

Oh come on, you know you love it.

She says: We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - we'll give it a shot
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer


PS- In high school, friends and I actually did the Jeff Spicolli thing and ordered pizza to be delivered right in the middle of our Final Exam. Yeah, it was the last test of Senior Year, but you still gotta give us some props. It was, after all, A.P. History. The teacher didn't quite get it, but the pizza was mighty yummy.

No comments: