Wednesday, January 08, 2003

As I look through the various Year-End lists, this realization washes over me more and more- gosh, I am one hip dude.

Why, just look at the all-important bellwether list of all things "in", the Washington Post's The List. It says "blogging" is in. Been there, done that, have the battle scars from it. It also says that the mighty Television Without Pity (or, as we in the know call it "TwoP") is the hippest Web site around. Been there for years. Where else would I know that Elka lied about her marriage to Walter or that "Buffy" totally screwed up the time sequencing in their past four episodes? (Side note- apparently, the Donnas are out. When were they ever in? Did I miss that? When in between Britney and Avril Lavigne did the Donnas go in? And wouldn't it suck be someone whose pronounced as "out" before they ever "in?")

I've also noticed that right now the most talked about TV show is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Besides being on almost every Best Of list, it's even made it to such pop heights that The Sports Guy on ESPN.com often references it (by the way, I read him before he was on ESPN.com- even e-mailed him a few times- and now he's so popular, he's going to LA to become a TV writer. Dude, you have the best job in the world, what the fuck are you thinking and can I have your job?). While I can't say I've watched the show from the get-go, I am now a slavishly devoted watcher convinced that Larry David is God. "You're my Caucasian" indeed. Speaking of ESPN, I've noticed that "Pardon the Interruption" is not only getting props for being such a great show, but is totally being copied everywhere. I tape it every day.

I own a leather jacket. I like dive bars. I work for a company that sponsors racecars. And I've seen every episode of "Behind the Music." I am so hip it's amazing.

Too bad that in order to be so hip, it means not actually having a life. But hey, who cares when you're hip?

No comments: