Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Conversation overhead at the yoga place between your standard Berkley hippie type (we'll call her BH) and an extremely Jewish-looking woman who is there almost every night (we'll call her BuJew).

BH: Where are you from?
BuJew: oh Chicago
BH: Really, where from? I went to Grad School there.
BuJew: (mentions some town, the name of which I can't remember)
BH: Huh, I never heard of it. Where is it?
BuJew: It's right outside of Chicago. The town's kind of, ummm, very, ummmm.......
BH: Jewish?
BUJew: Yeah. (they laugh).

Speaking of the Tribe, we turn with much amusement and excitement to the announcement of Joe Lieberman to run for President. First time a big-time, pretty serious Jew ran for the highest office in the land.

While this is certainly exciting news, I can't really say I'm that excited about his candidacy as the Senator does have a tendency to tend towards being insufferably pious. I am, however, excited about how this big ole country- the home of the free and the land of the Great American Melting Pot- reacts the running of a Super Jew.

What I can't wait for are the interviews with people who definitely won't vote for him because he's a Hebe, but, of course, won't come out and say it. Expect to hear lots of things like "I don't think he shares my values" or "he just doesn't come off as the Commander in Chief type" or even "his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather killed Christ."

As for whether he's gonna get anywhere, to paraphrase the mighty Daily Show in regards to Joe's wife, Hadassah, picture a reality in which you will actually hear this phrase "now, ladies and gentleman, the First Lady of the United States, Hadassah Lieberman."

Can't picture it, can you?

Oh, the fun it can be.

No comments: