Monday, July 28, 2008

So I'm waiting to hear back from that place I had a second interview with last week. And yeah, it's been a week since I interviewed there (gulp). The way I figure it is if I got the job, I'd get a phone call. If I didn't, I'd get an email. So right now, everytime I check my email, I'm saying a little silent prayer that I don't get an email from my contact at the job. And everytime the phone rings....

Anyways, last night I watched "the Incredibles" on the Disney Channel. Love that movie. But in watching it on the Disney Channel, I was subjected to a lot of commercials about shows on the Disney Channel. While watching them, I couldn't help notice that most of the shows, primarily the one's aimed at "tweens" were mainly about being rich (that Zack and Cody show), being famous (Hannah Montana), shopping and fashion (pretty much everything).

As I was watching all this I thought back way back when and wondered what kind of shows I was subjected to back then and what they were about. Other than that show "You Can't Do That on Television " (the show where people got slimed) I couldn't really remember any show which was geared towards my being a tween or a teenager. I guess that's what happens when you're just old enough to live at the start of the cable era. I did have, however, MTV but back then MTV actually played videos and didn't focus on shallow people doing shallow things. Mainly, all that we had to watch were the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island.

Which brings us back to the point I was trying to make, about the fact that most of the shows aimed at kids today focus on nothing but materialistic things whose emphasis is somehow related to having money and spending. And fame. Oh, I'm sure that each show, many of which are sitcoms, all end with some sort of lesson being learned but what sort of lesson can be learned if the whole point of the show is that you suck if you're not rich and can't go shopping for fashionable items.

Now I'm not saying that Hannah Montana should be a show about a teenager who volunteers to save refugees in Darfur or "the Green Life of Zach and Cody" but one still has to wonder just how more and more fucked each upcoming generation will be.

And, yes, get off my lawn you damn kids.

No comments: