Thursday, October 29, 2009

I hate doing thank you notes after an interview as I see it as one more possible chance to screw something up. Like they could be about to hire me and HR is already to find out if I should make shit loads of money or loads of money but then I send a thank you note with a misspelled word or a typo and here comes the "sorry, we're going with somebody else" email. All this worry despite the fact that from most indications, it doesn't matter. It's just another hoop to go through-- a box you're supposed to check-- and it's hazy as to whether or not people even read it. Yet, still, I find them nerve wracking to do.

During yesterday's interview, I met with five other people. For every person with whom I had to meet, I had about half an hour with them and when that time was up, they'd bring in the next person. And yes, it's grueling. But the question I had this morning-- the day after-- was that if I were going to send a thank you note, should I just send one to the boss, the entire group as a whole, or all five of them individually. The answer? Send one to each individual person. This meant having to write and send five thank you notes.

Okay, yes, I could just write one and send it all to the same people but most people said it's good to personalize it a bit to make it seem less like it's a form letter. This is also important because all of the people with whom I talked to all worked next to each other so if I did just copy the same text into each email, they'd all notice it. Again, it might not matter at all, but it could. This meant adding a little personal bit to each email which meant that, yes, that's five more chances to screw it up.

Took me all afternoon to get up the courage to finally send them. It didn't help that I kept on having images of all of them sitting there next to each other getting pinged by my thank you note within seconds of each other.

No comments: