Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Last week, I had that job interview, the one I wrote earlier about getting the wrong instructions from the HR person. When the interview was over, I was told that I'd hear a decision about the job next Wednesday. That Wednesday being tomorrow.

About an hour ago, I got a voice mail message from the HR person saying "blah...blah...blah...I just wanted to talk you...blah...blah...blah...see what your availability is." Now, first off, HR people never call you about a job unless you get it-- if you don't get it, you get an email. Second of all, it's the day before I'm supposed to know. And finally, there's those magic words "availability." Why that word? All of this made me very cooly and calmly think about the possibility THAT THEY WERE ABOUT TO OFFER ME A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all, why the call? And the words "availability?" Now that could have meant meeting with other people, or so I realized after almost having a heart attack, but I did have an interview with President of the company. Who else would I need to meet with?

Oh yeah, and there's the fact I'm not necessarily sure I'd like the job, let alone be good with it.

Heart racing, I called the HR person back, thinking that it was either-- at best-- the start of the long negotiation at employment or --at worst-- the scheduling of one more interview round.

It was neither-- the HR person was just calling me back to get feedback about last week's meeting. A week after the meeting. Not the day after or the day or but a week after. It was also to tell me they'll have a decision tomorrow. Which they said would happen-- last week.

Oh, when I called and introduced myself, she said "how did it go this morning." To which I naturally paused as I had no idea what she was talking about. Which means there's a very probably chance she called me instead of the person who interviewed there this morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I think we interviewed with the same company! I had the exact same experience earlier this month and am still stunned by how this was handled. I was floored by the false hope created by the very active contact from the HR person.