Saturday, October 31, 2009

Just filled out another online job form (took me about ten minutes to do) and this one drove me crazy because it constantly asked for the particular country of either where I live or where I worked. This wouldn't be a big deal but you had to use a drop-down menu to get to your country and this brings up one of my big pet peeves about a lot of drop-down menus-

Basically, I hate it when either USA or America is not like the first option and instead, you have to scroll all the way down into the "U" for "United States of America." Yes, call me a small-minded America firster.

Now, I know what you're saying-- why should we get priority over, say, China or Denmark?

Well, to that I answer it's a job in America. With an American company.

So you might say, but a lot of companies are multi-national corporations and have places all over the world.

Well, to that I said there's a good chance that the company is only in America

So what if you're wrong and the company is in more places than you think?

Well, to that I said that might be true but do they really have to put Uganda, North Korean and Djubuti in your menu as I'm pretty sure Company X is not doing business in Pyongyang. And do you have to have between 5-10 instances where you have to enter the country because I wasted like five minutes constantly scrolling past those countries and others like Albania and Afghanistan. I mean, it's a company that's involved in cable TV and I'm pretty sure there's not a lot of cable in Albania and I'm really, really positive you cannot watch "Project Runway" on the Lifetime Channel even if you are a CIA operative living in the embassy.

And to that, you say, "yeah, that's a little friggin ridiculous."

No comments: