Thursday, October 15, 2009

Last week I went to use my ATM/Credit card to buy a bottle of wine and the card got denied. As in can't use the ATM card AT ALL. This is always a scary thing, especially when you're unemployed and not bringing in a lot of income. Oh, I have money and I knew I had money when I bought the wine, but still there were a few moments there when I was thinking "oh shit, I'm broke. I guess I'm going to be sharing the cat food with the cat."

Turns out one of the places I used the card got hacked over the past week and the bank decided to shut down my card. Great for them but you know, it would have been nice to have known that beforehand.

Now the actual point of this post is completely different, but....

Way back before banks went kablooie, you were able to pay credit cards off online pretty much the day before it was due. This made sense because we have computers and all sorts of fancy technology and it's just a matter of certain beeps connecting with other beeps to create a happy beep. Suddenly, I've been noticing that it's no longer possible for banks to handle payments online in one day. For whatever reason, they say they need three days to handle this. I guess maybe the servers are really busy these days. Or the electronic request gets printed out and give to a Wells Fargo stagecoach to hand over to a bank manager.

Luckily, the banks have figured out a way to help all of us who are sporadically late with our payments, they can actually send the money electronically in a day BUT you have to pay an extra $15. That Wells Fargo stagecoach guy needs to feed his family, you know. I guess what this means is that paying a credit card electronically is like buying something on Amazon these days in that whenever you do it, you have a selection of different shipping options.

God damn fucking banks.

No comments: