Monday, August 11, 2003

I think I have finally figured out one of the great dilemnas that has faced me for nigh on the past few years- what would my Going Up to Bat Theme Song be.

The question, of course, is based on the fact that every major league batter gets to pick a few seconds of a song before they bat. This song- usually either salsa, a hard rocker, or rap song- is not just a song to psyche up the batter and the crowd, but is a symbol, a theme, for the player. It sums up everything that player wants to be. Barry, for instance, picks a P. Diddy song that plays up both his regalness, but a bit of his attitude (the song sounds a bit like the "Imperial Marching" song from Star Wars). And Richie Aurillia picks "No Sleep til Brooklyn" 'cause he's a Brooklyn boy. You get how it works.

This question, of what my theme song would be, has haunted me for years. Do I go with the standard rocking AC/DC song or maybe a little GnR? How about a rocking riff from my hey days like the Pumpkins "I am One" or Soundgarden's "Outshine" to show how cool I am(was)? Do I go classy and sophisticated like maybe "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or "Won't Get Fooled Again?" (like J.T. Snow does). Or do I show off my iconoclastic side and maybe pick out Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My, My" or the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant"?

Then, last night at the Giants game, it came to me- my song. Picture this- I come up to bat, the crowd roars, the tension builds and out from the thundering Pac Bell PA system comes…..

Some people call me the space cowboy
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
Cause I speak of the pompitous of love


....and the crowd goes wild.....

No comments: