Monday, January 23, 2006

I am in a meeting. A big meeting with all the Heads of the Department. I am kind of psyched to be in the meeting. I also realize as it's beginning that I didn't turn off my cell phone and I left a friend a message to call me back.

I am scared.

As I try to pay attention and look like I'm deeply involved and not saying stupid things, I am sweating internally. I feel like a timed bomb is about to go off at any moment and only I know it's about to go off. I am Jack Bauer even if I tried watching the show last week and thought it was too ridiculous to get into. And as everyone involved sits around discussing plans, coming up with procedures, all I could think about was this: "oh, please, don't ring....don't ring....don't ring."

The meeting looks like it's about to end and as I get ready to stand up and get the heck out of there, somebody says something and the meeting begins again, this time for something not involving me.

The sweat increases.

Finally, the meeting adjourns and I bolt out of there.

Hours later, my friend finally calls.

No comments: