Wednesday, January 18, 2006

You remember my posting about the lady who sat in front of me on the bus despite the fact the bus was completely empty? In retrospect, I think it was mainly because I made the mistake of sitting right behind her seat, the seat she always sits in because it's part of her ritual. I would harsh on her about that, but I know what it's like.

When I started at SuperMondo Corp., I took a shuttle into work. After a few weeks on the shuttle, I realized that everyone had their special seats, the seats they went to everytime they got on the bus. I had mine right in the middle, to the left. But whenever anybody who was new or didn't know what the ritual was got on and sat in somebody's seat, there would be total chaos. It just threw off the delicate balance that made up the shuttle because it caused a domino effect. The interloper would sit in that one seat, then the person who would sit in that seat would go sit in somebody else's seat, and that person would go sit in somebody else's seat and so on and so forth. I'd literally watch as people would get onto the shuttle, quickly realize there seat was taken, and then watch as their face went all befuddled as they tried to figure out what to do next.

It was shuttle anarchy.

No comments: