Monday, January 09, 2006

There are many types of loves out there but there's one that hasn't quite been so analyzed and dissected and wrote about by the bads as others have. And that is the love one discovers with a TV show.

Think I'm making this up? Just think of the joy and excitement your favorite TV show brings. It gives you something to look forward to every week, something to dissect and analyze, something to schedule your life around. And now, with the internets being what they are, it also gives you one more thing to slack off to.

Since my one true love, Buffy went off the air, I've been, as Johnny Cougar would sing, living in the in-betweens. Other than a flash of enjoyment over Arrested Development (as much as I love a good sitcom, there's nothing quite as consuming as the hour long drama) or the Office, I've been pining away over lack of a TV show love.

Last year, I thought I had found it with Lost but it turned out to be more of a flirtation than anything else and now we just remain good friends. The show is the kind of show you admire more than get into as it's crazy supernatural bits and freaky island things get kind of offsetting, something that takes you away from enjoying the show. And yeah, I'm the one who professes undying love for a show about a vampire slayer, but as anyone who even watched the show would know, it wasn't the supernatural aspect of it that worked, but how the supernatural aspect of it was just one big ole honking metaphor for adolescence, growing up, life, love, morality, and the meaning of it all that made it work. Lost appears to be nothing but a couple of cool tricks done for the sake of it being a cool trick.

But now, I have found my show, my love, my everything. That show? Battlestar Galactica.

Oh Battlestar, how do I love thee?

Is it because everytime I think they're about to go into standard cliche mode, they pull away and do the thing that makes the most sense according to the rules of the show's universe and it's characters? Is it the way every character is shaded and complex in such a way that you wind up rooting for the most hard-to-like character (Col. Tigh) or even the bad-guy Cylons? Is it because the mind-fuck that was making Sharon both copies and sleeper agents? Or is just because it's got a kick ass plot with kick ass action sequences?

Either way, I, for the first time in years, am head-over-heels in love with a TV show.

And I love it.

No comments: