Monday, August 25, 2008

Because I'm a political junkie, I usually watch the conventions and all the hyperventilation from the pundits.  While I occasionally glance at the Republican convention, or at least watch it until my blood pressure approaches heart-attack levels, I do like to watch the Democratic convention.  It is my team, after all, and it helps to affirm why I am a Democrat, like actual minorities in the audience.  This year, however, I'm probably going to stay away from most of it.  I want to catch Obama's speech, of course, because he's friggin amazing when he's one (his speech at the 2004 convention almost made me cry) and because the fate of the world rests on his shoulders (seriously).

I am, however, not going to watch the pundits analyze and dissect the thing because political reporters and pundits make baby Jesus cry.  For example, before Obama went on his vacation, Cokie Roberts said on one of those Sunday morning gab-fests that she thinks Obama's vacation choice was a mistake because it was too easy for Republicans to brand him as an elitist with vaguely foreign ties.  This despite the fact he's from there.  Or despite the fact he has family there.  Or despite the fact that Hawaii is a state in the union and many people go there on vacations and/or honeymoons, including John McCain.  One of my fondest desires is that whenever a pundit says something like that, either another pundit or a politician will turn to that pundit and say something like "that's the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.  You're an  idiot."

I'm still waiting.

Actually, not watching the news is a pretty smart strategy in handling the election because I have yet to throw anything at the tv.  I'm surviving mainly on left-ish leaning web sites, like Talking Points Memo, because they seem to be handled and run by sane people.  There's still enough things out there that gets reported to make me want to ram my head against the table, but at least those people share the same outrage about it all.

This election, I'm surviving mainly because of Wonkette, which is where I spend most of my time during the day, trolling the comment sections and occasionally adding my two cents.  I like to go there because the site makes fun of all things that need to be made fun of and because it and most of the commentors share most of my views-- that Obama is the One; that McCain is a doddering opportunist who wants nothing more to do than start bombing someone, and that the press mainly consists of a bunch of retards.

Wonkette works this time around because while occasionally funny, the Daily Show hasn't been that with-it during the election.  Things happen too fast these days for the latest news to make it onto the show and so they are usually behind the news.  I also think that deep down, everyone on the show loves both Obama and McCain and as a result, they're having trouble mocking either of them-- there's no outrage to fuel the humor.  One of these days, they're going to fall out of love with McCain but I'm still waiting for it to happen.

PS- yes, there's Olberman, but Olberman has somehow turned himself into just as much of a blowhard as O'Reilly.  Rachel Maddow is the new hotness.

No comments: