Thursday, August 07, 2008

Okay, here's todays job fun.

I finally got the information about the interview late yesterday evening (around 9). But there was still no information about exactly what the interview was for. Remember, I didn't know how they got my resume and there was two job postings on the companies' web site that were completely different but for which I both could have applied for (one was project managing, the other one content management on the website).

This morning, before the interview, I wanted to make absolutely positively sure I knew which job I was to interview for and so called the guy up just to confirm. He told me it was definitely the web related job. With that, I printed out the relevant resume, studied the job description, and worked on my responses and headed all the way down to Palo Alto to do the interview.

Funny little thing happened when I got there-- he told me the wrong job. It was the project management position.

Luckily, I found out early on when I met the first person I had to meet with and said enough things to make me realize the guy was an idiot and quickly made adjustments. But because I studied for the wrong job, I was kind of shooting blind in that I wasn't sure what the details of the job were. But whatever.

Okay, onto the interview. The whole thing started at 11 and I was supposed to meet with 6 people over the space of three hours. At 11, which meant it was right in the middle of lunchtime. Hello yummy, greasy egg brunch. Anyways, if you haven't done one of those three hour interview jobbers with six different people, let me tell you-- they're fun. Really fun. I told the same stories at least three times, answered the question "what are your strengths" at least four times and answered the question "tell me a little about yourself" four times. After awhile, that story you tell and that response you have gets kind of boring and it's hard to be exciting and show energy when you've told the same story again and again and again.

But wouldn't you do better answering the question since you had to do it so many times? Well, you'd think so except for the fact it's friggin exhausting talking to all that people throughout the experience. First you have energy, then you lose energy,k then you get your second wind, then you get tired, and then you get your third wind and so on and so forth. And somewhere close to hour 1, my brain went from clear to completely muddled and English often became problematic.

Oh, and my poor, poor throat. I talked straight for pretty much three hours and have you ever gotten to the point where there's no spit in your mouth and your throat is starting to hurt and everytime you speak, you could literally feel each individual strand of your vocal chords shredding? That was me today. Luckily, everytime I hit the point where I was absolutely unable to speak anymore, somebody piped in and gave me a reprieve for a few minutes.

And finally, I leave you with this. For the very first time in all the interviewing I've done, I asked to go to the bathroom in the middle of the interview.

Good times.

No comments: