Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Remember that job in which two recruiters tried to get me in? The one in which the first recruiter took their sweet time and the other one didn't? And remember how the company that took their sweet time to get me in couldn't because they did such a good job hyping me up that the company thought I had too much experience for the job?

Funny thing-- I had the interview yesterday with said company and already heard back. Apparently, they thought I had too little experience for the job. So, to sum up-- I didn't get the job because I somehow had both too much experience for it and not enough experience for it.

I guess this is my fault because after being told that I didn't have enough experience, I tried to play down my experience in the interview because of the previous feedback and was afraid they'd go back to their original assessment of me. I was so sure they'd ask me why I wanted that job because of that problem that I even had a pat response for it.

Now this might seem like a mistake in my part but I was pretty sure it was the right angle to play because....

-the first agency told me that the job description I got was wrong and that job pretty basic
-because the company that let me go two months into my contract let me go because they they only needed somebody who could do the basic stuff and they thought I had too much experience to do the basic stuff
-the position was listed as Jr. to Mid
-The salary was way (way) below the standard hourly rate of somebody with the kind of experience they appear to be looking for, so much so I was ambivalent about the job because it would have been a huge pay cut. On the application form I had to fill out for the job, I even left the question "what was your previous salary" blank. Stupidly, I thought low hourly rate = not that much experience needed.

Oh, one more thing- it was a job that was supposed to last for 3-6 months and that, apparently, was it. In the interview, they mentioned that they were having problems filling the position because everybody they hired left before their contract was up. I guess they haven't quite figured out yet that a short-term position with low salary might not be enticing enough to keep their contractors from staying there. Go figure.

No comments: