Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So, yeah, okay, I did watch part of the convention, at least Michelle Obama's speech (I did, however, quickly change the channel the moment a talking head started talking).  I have to say while watching it, and other parts of the night, the reality of it all hit me-- Jesus Frickin' Christ, we're actually nominating a black guy.  And all these people out there cheering for and celebrating a black guy?  What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?

Admit it-- it was just a little weird with a twinge of feeling that we're in some sort of bizarro/through the looking glass kind of world.  

But while I also think this just an awesome thing for all sorts of reasons, I'm worried that a whole bunch of people tuned in, drew the same conclusion I did, but didn't quite see it in such a positive light.

I'll also add some sort of paraphrase that I read somewhere this morning, about how cool it'll be to actually have classy, sophisticated, intelligent people in the White House.  For once.  And I'll also add another sort of paraphrase that I read somewhere else, about how all of that automatically makes them out of touch with most Americans.

No comments: