Monday, August 11, 2008

More looking for a job stuff. This'll be it for awhile-- I swear.

-Three hour interviews suck. SUCK. And not exactly fair. Because while I'm sitting there getting more and more exhausted and mentally fried and while my vocal chords and being ripped apart, the people I'm meeting with aren't because they're only meeting me in 20-30 gaps. So they have a lot of energy. I could also say that I should probably get some extra-bonus points for having to deal with an HR person who didn't give me any details and told me I was interviewing for the wrong job, plus having to drive to and from Palo Alto but you never get extra credit for anything.

-And speaking of which, I've been getting a lot of "why do you want to work for this company" type of questions lately. Well, because it's a job and I'se gotta be paid. Actually, for some companies (video game company or home electronic companies) that's easy to answer. Not so easy if it's for, say an architectural firm ("I always wanted to be an architect") or a company that makes medical equipment ("why, I've always been fascinated by x-rays").

-Going back to that place where I interviewed last week, the one that told me I was both too qualified and not qualified enough for the job, I went back and re-read posts about the time I interviewed there years ago and discovered that the same thing happened-- first they said my resume had too much experience and then they said I didn't have enough experience. In other words, that company is fucked up, yo. Also, what was weird about that interview is that the first person I met with thought enough of me that she left the interview and ran to her desk to hand me her business card. Somebody who doesn't want to hire another person would not do that, right? Which means the decision went down to the last person I met with who, apparently, told my recruiter that I was too "low energy." Whatever that means. Funny thing is that the dude who interviewed me looked like the kind of person who like nothing better than to kick back in his cabin in Tahoe and popping open a Sierra Nevada while listening to the rocking sounds of Dave Mathews after a full day of skiing. In other words, I don't exactly see that guy as being very high energy himself. So, whatever.

No comments: