Friday, August 01, 2008

I know I've fucking bitched about this before, but I'm in the process of trying to apply for a job with a big company. Like most big companies, I have to go online to their site to do it. Fine.

But first I have to set up my account which means creating a name and password and I have to choose a certain password and then have a question set up in case I can't remember my password. While I'm glad for internet security, I'm applying for a job, not entering in my bank information. Just fucking set me up-- I really doubt somebody's going to go into the system and play with my resume for shits and giggles.

Now this is where the real fun starts. First I have to upload my resume. Fine. Then I have to fill in my contact information (which is on my resume, but whatever). This is always great fun because sometimes your allowed parenthesis in phone numbers, sometimes not but they don't tell you so you have to guess then re-enter and re-enter again to figure out what form they want phone numbers in. Same thing with salary-- do you include a $ or not and how do you hours if they don't accept hours? But then you always miss something but instead of giving you a list of what you've missed, it tells you one thing at a time so if you miss a few things or get something wrong, you have to keep on re-entering and re-entering again. Kiss ten minutes of your life goodbye.

But here comes the fun part- these sites usually try and gleam things from the resume and fill out things in the online form. Which is what this site requested of me. Thing is, I already uploaded my resume so why do I now have to fill these things out. After all, they asked for my resume so they should have all that information. But if they wanted me to fill it out by hand, they didn't really need to ask me for my resume, now did they?

Now sometimes when you do this, the system figures it out correctly and the jobs are all listed in order. This was not the case of this site which somehow managed to miss the first two jobs on my resume. So after reading through the instructions (again, I've already uploaded my resume) I figured out how to add those two jobs, move them up to the cue. And, naturally, they ask for all the information I've already provided on my resume so I have to enter all that stuff again. But even the jobs that they got right, just in different order still missed all the pertinent information so I have to enter all of that information by hand.

So what's the fucking point of asking me to upload my resume if they want me to enter all that information anyways on the site? And if they were going to do it, or at least try and pull things from my resume, couldn't they have at least made sure it was correct instead of incorrect so I'd have to waste another fifteen minutes just filling out information I've already provided.

I finally got past that point, then filled out some more boxes and information and then went through another round of security. Half an hour (!!) later, I had finally officially applied for that.

Half an hour of my life wasted just because of their stupid, lame, web site. For a job, I'll probably never hear back from. Unless, of course, everyone else applying gave up halfway through like I almost did and I was the only person to have gone through the whole awful thing.

No comments: