Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Desperate times call for desperate measures and since these are desperate times, I'm going to utilize the most desperate measure there is- the Costanza Ploy. Basically, the idea that to change one's luck, one needs to do the exact opposite of what they would normally do.

Here's how it will apply for my job search

-I will no longer dress up for interviews. I'm actually wearing nice suits to interviews now (thanks mom). No longer. I'm picturing something in jeans and t-shirts. Shaving will depend on my mood.

-I will no longer show up early for interviews. Instead, I will show up ten minutes late for every interview I go on. It shouldn't really matter anyways as most people are ten minutes late to interview me.

-I will tell the complete honesty in everything. If there's something I haven't done, instead of spinning it in such a way that it sounds like I've done it, I'll just say "nope, never done it." If they bring up some task that either doesn't sound particularly fun or something that I know I don't like to do, I will just say "nope, doesn't interest me at all. I hate accounting." Or something like "yeah, I'm not very good at accounting. In fact, I hate doing it so much I usually wait until the end of the month to do it and once a printer refused to print out anything for the company because I was so late on the PO's." And if they ask what kind of boss I don't like, I will tell them "psycho, manic women who criticize everything I did up to how I shuffled papers and eavesdrop on my conversations."

-Thank you notes. Eh, screw 'em. They haven't worked yet and I somehow suspect a few times the job went to somebody who didn't send one out.

-And finally and most importantly, I will act like I don't care. I will show no enthusiasm, will not say how exciting something sounds. Will not even look like I really want to be there. And I will not constantly call HR people about jobs that I've applied for and be persistent about it. Just think about it, would Steve McQueen act like he was excited about a job? Would he tell the interviewer that "wow, that sounds really great?" Would he call up every couple of days to check in? No, he wouldn't. And what's good for Steve McQueen is good for me. Because Steve McQueen is the Man.

I should be getting a job soon.


No comments: