Sunday, April 24, 2005

2nd Night of Passover

Woo-hee, I just learned a new blogger trick. About two years too late, but still...

So tonight was Passover, Night Two. And yes, Passover is two nights- because just one night of brisket is never enough. The Seder? About seven kids around ten years of age, a bunch of my dad's friends, and an eighteen year old girl. I start hanging out with kids, thinking that my place was at the kiddie table, then realized that all the old folks there was my crowd. Then I started to think that my role was to hang out with the eighteen year old whose probably hating the fact that she's there with a bunch of kids and old folks, just like me, until I realized she probably sees me as one of the old folks too.

The eighteen year old, by the way, is about to go to college and I got to listen as all the older types told her what to expect at college and how to survive. When one of them said that for every hour of class, you should schedule in your calendar at least two hours of study time I almost choked. Calendar? Schedule? Planning on studying? Wuh? I did not, however, make any comment about my dad's "woah, I was so crazy back then" story about being hospitalized for drinking too much....drinking too much coca cola.

As is my wont, I spent part of the time playing "Picture What the Kids Will Be Like When They're Older." I love that game. For instance, you have-

Girl Who Spent Entire Seder Cutting Things Into Little Pieces, Including Parts of My Shirt- total soon-to-be psychopath. Probably something involving fire.

Girl Who Spent Almost Entire Time on My Dad's iPod- eventual indie-music snot. She was already rocking the Lisa Loeb glasses.

Girl Who Brought Along Older Brothers Copy of "Back in Black" and Tried to Get Everyone to Play It, Finally Finding a Sympathetic Ear with Yours Truly (Who Also Figured Out that The Song She Wanted To Download was by System of a Down)- Bad, bad news. But one with a good taste in music.

The Sweetest, Most Adorable Girl In the World Who Just Wanted to Hug & Kiss Everyone- someone to lock up inside the house and never, ever, ever let outside because the world will only break her heart into a million, billion pieces.

Oh yeah, according to the kids, Avril Lavigne and Britney are totally out. Which is bad news for them because when your a teeny bopper and you lose the eight year olds, it's over. Green Day, however, is totally in. Which, I guess, is a good sign. When one of them bops up and down to the strains of (the totally edited version) of "American Idiot" you tend to think that maybe the kids are alright.

No comments: