Thursday, April 21, 2005

Some Odds & Sods

-Spied on a t-shirt of a pregnant and non-wedding band married girl at parking lot in Philly, the line "Birth Control is For Sissies." Whu?

-Wore a Giants cap to an Orioles/Sox game (great game by the way) thinking that in a battle between American League East powers, I'd be considered neutral and get off easily. As I was leaving, I heard this: "Hey BALCO! Want some steroids?" The O's, by the way, not only have a tradition of playing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" during the 7th inning stretch, but cheer when whoever is singing the national anthem says the word "Oh." That's also cool.

-I overheard two guys at the coffee shop at the train station today discussing the pros and cons of using AFLAC car insurance. If not the most boring conversation I've ever heard, it has to rank right up there.

-Did I mention I got a foul ball? Speaking of which, in retrospect, I kind of liked the nowhere quality to the Phillies ballpark. Since we were sitting low, we couldn't see anything outside of the stadium. In that way, there was kind of an other-worldy quality to the park, like we were in some vast desert where out of nowhere, this funky little stadium can be found. A little Road Warrior, actually. It was, in a way, kind of trippy.

-I made the off-hand comment to my mom that I like coming home for Passover because I miss Jewish food. So she loaded up her house with bagels & lox, mazta ball soup & brisket. I am so sick of all of them but because she bought so much of it, I have to keep eating it. The brisket, which was huge and not that good, is like this albatross around my neck because I can't leave for the West coast until we finish it and after having it two days in a row, we're not even halfway done.

-When do you know that you're getting to old for kickball? When you're team name is "Just Another Excuse to Drink."

-There was a big story in the Washington Post today about how voters across the country are disgruntled because the economy is still kind of icky and congress is spending most of it's time trying to save some vegetard. Turns out they're suprised congress is acting this way and can't believe what our government is doing. I've said this before and I'll say this again- suck on it. You guys voted for him, I didn't.

No comments: