Sunday, April 03, 2005

I do not like April Fools Day. In fact, I realized this year that it's a pretty stupid thing. It just forces people everywhere do dumb jokes, most of which aren't very funny, only because it's April Fools Day so you have to make dumb, stupid jokes. Then there's the fact that somewhere down the line, somebody announced something that directly involves me on April Fools Day and went to somewhat elaborate measures to say it's not a joke but it's true. The thing about it was that it was so half-baked and un-thought out yet had some measure work put into it to make it seems like maybe it was a sudden thing. It also wasn't particularly funny at all, so unfunny that you maybe think it's true because it's too dumb to be a joke. But, of course, you can't ask some of the people involved if it's true or not because if you do, "gotcha!" Sucker, you fell for it. And nobody wants to let other people know that they fell for an unfunny, half-baked April Fools Day joke.

I was also the recipient of the April Fools Day prank at work, the only one in the Department. I came in and found my cubicle totally covered by funny pictures of animals. It was funny and it was cute and it was flattering in a way and everyone got a big kick out of it. The thing is that I'm just paranoid and neurotic enough to make me also wonder if there's a hidden meaning beneath it all. Like, why me? Why animals? And why the two people who are probably (and I say probably because they have been pretty good in keeping quiet about it) behind it all? And yes, life is much more difficult when you're neurotic.

No comments: