Sunday, April 10, 2005

Saw these things on the TV while flipping through the channels-

-One of those Entertainment shows getting thoughts on the Pope from Queen Latifah and Will Smith.

-A commercial for Bono's new Save Africa fund starring pretty much every member of Hollywood royalty (Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Justin Timberlake, Cameron Diaz) and Pat Robertson. Yes, that Pat Robertson.

Speaking of Boner, I didn't have tickets to see U2 at San Jose this weekend and while I kind of wish I did, I'm kind of glad I don't. From every report I've read, Bono's in full preach mode, giving five minutes speeches about Africa and what have before every song. And while I'm down with the cause and think he's right about Africa and third world debt, well, did Zeppelin give political speeches before songs? The Stones? Van Fucking Halen? I think not. Hell, Pete Townshend once shoved Abbie Hoffman off the stage in mid-speech.

I wonder if at anytime during Boner's speeches if Adam has ever glanced at Larry or vice versa and just rolled their eyes. Or maybe the Edge, Adam, and Larry have this cue figured out where whenever they couldn't take it anymore, they'd just signal each other and somebody would start a cue to play a song. Kind of like at the Oscar ceremonies. Like if Bono goes over five minutes in a speech, Larry just kicks in with "Sunday Bloody Sunday" just to shut him up. Or maybe it's like what happens during drum solos and all the members of the band go off-stage and get blown by groupies in the middle of it all.

No comments: