Thursday, May 12, 2005

About last night's "Lost." Still not buying Kate as a fugitive, no way ,no how. Way to cute and perky to be a fugitive. I know, it would be bad to have some ugly, white trash character with like tattoos everywhere and a face that looks like it's seen it's fair share of hungover mornings, but still.

Anyways, I'm about thirty pages away from finishing "War and Peace" and I just realized that the entire ending is nothing but Tolstoy bitching about historians and how history is debated. It's kind of interesting in a way, but also totally boring. It's like getting to the end of LOTR only to have it end with Tolkein write about linguistics. Or having "Return of the Jedi" end with that infamous Joseph Campbell interview by Bill Moyers. The worst part is I want to kind of skip over it, but I've already read 1440 pages so I feel like what's another twenty pages or so. I could never actually own up to reading it. And sheesh, what happened to Tolstoy's editor? Couldn't the editor have pulled Tolstoy aside and said "Leo, baby, love the book, but you gotta nix the ending." Or maybe the editor figured after 1400 pages, what's another forty or so?

No comments: