Thursday, May 12, 2005

When do you know that you're getting your pop cultural cross currents crossed? When you see one of those MSN "news" blurbs about "Terri's Tryst" and it takes you a couple of seconds to realize that they meant Teri Hatcher and not Terry Schiavo.

So once again it happened, I wound up in a yoga class with just me and another person. Even crazier, I show up and find out it's not some normal yoga class but "restorative yoga" which basically means you do these poses and hold them for a lot longer than normal. The thing about a class when you're one of a few students is that it means that it's totally easy to busy you when you just mouth along to along the chants. And also you realize you can't slack off because the teacher is right there getting all-pretzel like with you. I actually wound up liking the class. First of all, you spend most of your time on your back in restorative yoga and I like spending a lot of time on my back. It's also fairly mellow and not very strenuous. I like mellow and not very strenuous. The best part, though, is what happens when you hold the position- you're stuck in this position for so long that you run out of things to worry about with your pose, things to worry about involving work, things to worry about involving the social life, and even things involving the Giants bullpen and after awhile, out of sheer boredom, you get all zen with it. So, in other words, I'm feeling pretty darn relaxed right now.

No comments: