Saturday, May 14, 2005

To show you how much things have changed over the past year consider the case of my shoes. For years, I only really owned one pair of sneakers, usually all black. This was because I never saw the need for wearing multiple shoes. What's the point of shoes anyways other something to put on your feet when you walk around? And if you're going to just wear something to put on your feet when you walk around, why wear something that's not comfortable?

Then, a few years ago, I got on the two pairs of shoes. Except for a Doc Marten's phase, the second shoe was usually a pair of Skeechers or converse. They weren't the most comfortable of shoes, but they looked cool. The main reason why I wore them wasn't necessarily because they were cool but mainly because it took me awhile to figure out that constantly wearing one pair of sneakers got awfully smelly. And yeah, I had dress shoes, but they were usually the Doc Marten's I occasionally wore.

There was another reason why I didn't own many shoes and that was because I was too friggin broke to buy anymore shoes. When you're unemployed, the only reason to buy new sneaks is when they're basically so fallen apart that you can barely wear them anymore. Money is tight and better to spend it on things like getting to job interviews, food, and alcohol then a pair of sneakers that you don't really need.

Now, about eight months into the new job, all of this has now changed. I now own two pairs of sneakers, skeechers, dress shoes, and some kick-ass hiking boot type shoe. But that's not the whacky part. The whacky part is one of the pairs of sneakers are my fitness shoes. They're the shoes that on Monday I'm going to bring into work and leave at my desk so I can always have a pair of shoes around for when I go to the gym.

And speaking of sneakers, I went to buy a new pair today. Now usually I buy solid black sneaks. I like 'em plain and black- the Beavis & Butthead look. This time I saw a pair of white sneaks and tried them on. Now, when I was a kid, white sneakers were the in way to go. It wasn't until the grim and grungy early 90's that people switched to black sneakers. I liked the black sneaks because I like to think of myself as grim and grungy and because the problem with white sneakers is that they look so shiny and pretty that you hate to wear them outside lest they get dirty. Then when they get dirty, you kind of feel like they're ruined. Then they just get dirtier and dirtier and dirtier and it's kind of depressing. Black shoes, for obvious reasons, stay black. They don't just suddenly get dirty. Oh, and there's another reason why I always hated white sneakers- white shoes always reminded me of old Jewish men in Miami. Never a good look.

But this time, in the store, faced with a purchase of the white sneaks with black stripes or the solid black sneaks, the same type of sneakers I've worn for about fifteen years, I went white. Yes, I am the proud owner of some white Adidas, which I will of course, wear when I rock the mic.

The only reason why I went against my normal solid blacks? Just because- I just felt like shaking things up a bit today.

No comments: