Tuesday, June 25, 2002

So I'm walking past this movie theater today. On the wall of the theater is a poster for some movie called "Last Wedding" or "Late Wedding" or something like that. It looks like your typical boring arty, foreign romance- too foreign to be a chick flick yet not arty enough to be an art flick. Just a foreign romance that'll probably be only of interest to those who are into foreign romance movies just because.

On the poster for the movie, a poster that looks almost like every other movie poster you've seen- featuring the main characters kind of looking at you and a bunch of not quite so important characters in the background, is a little blurb about the movie. One of those "Ten Stars, I Love It" type blurb. Squib, I think they're called, but I'm not quite sure.

The big review, the one up top and with the biggest font-size says something like this: "This movie reveals a completely new voice in film…" then some blah, blah, blah, and then ends with this interesting little nugget of information "ifeaturing maybe the most realistic sex scene ever filmed!" So I'm thinking, that's interesting, that's an unusual thing to hype about a movie. They could have just left it at "completely new voice in film, great movie, makes Citizen Kane look like Glitter," but it didn't. It had to just add that little part about the sex scene. Since nothing is done unintentionally and not pre-tested, pre-marketed, and pre-committeed, I'm guessing that quote was left in on purpose. I guess because they thought they needed some sort of hook to get people in to see an otherwise typical arty, foreign romance flick, they might as well hype up the sex scene. As if that's the only reason why people will see the movie.

Think I'll check it out on Wednesday.

And no, I didn't actually stoop to watching Sorority Life, even if half the women in it were not just nubile, young co-eds, but nubile young Jewish co-eds. Turned it on for a few minutes and then had that voice come to me, telling me that, once again, maybe I need to get a life.

No comments: