Monday, June 10, 2002

Yeah, it's 2 in the morning.

Just got back from watching the US-South Korea game at the Mad Dog. Stupid me thought that if I got there at least an hour early, I'd have my pick of seats. Even brought a book with me so I'd have something to do while waiting. Cause nobody's gonna be watching a US soccer match at 11:30 at night on a Sunday night. Right?

I was way wrong. It was jam packed. What the hell was everyone doing at a Pub on a Sunday night? Doesn't anybody work? Oh yeah.

Found a nice little corner spot in the corner of the bar where I could have some back support for the entire game and still get a good view of the big-screen TV the Mad Dog brings in for big soccer matches. Wasn't a bad spot, either as I got a pretty good view of most of the match. That was until the start of the second-half when the cute little soccer lesbians standing in front of me got pissed at the six foot tall guy who moved in front of them and told him to move somewhere else so that those in the back could see. He did. Right behind them and in front of me. Everytime something exciting happened, he'd start jumping up and down, blocking my view so I couldn't see a thing. Completely missed South Korea's goal. Well, I wanted the full-on soccer watching experience and I got it- smushed in a packed, hot pub with a semi-visible view of the game and surrounded by a lot of loud drunks.

Hate to say it too, but the US got damn lucky to get the tie. We played like, like, well, like you'd expect a soccer team from America to play. Sloppy and slow. If it weren't for some brilliant goaltending,a lot of luck (brought on in huge part by a South Korea team probably choking a bit from the pressure and the fucking loud as hell crowd noise) and a brilliant goal, we should of gotten our butts kicked. Didn't help that FIFA hired a bunch of refs from the NBA to officiate the game ("yeah, I know that guy's lying flat on the ground, but he fouled the other guy").

Still, it was actually fun to be loudly rooting for your own country in a World Cup match, instead of your adopted World Cup team. Like England or any team playing France.

Going to bed now. I'm exhausted. Good thing that if I have an interview tomorrow, it'll be in the afternoon.

No comments: